Portland Implement Co.

Wisconsin Ag News Headlines
Top Seller at State Fair Market Auction Brings $47,500 (Again)
Wisconsin Ag Connection - 08/08/2019

It was deja vu in more ways than one at the 51st Annual Governor's Blue Ribbon Livestock Auction at the Wisconsin State Fair on Wednesday night. Not only was the top steer in the sale sold by the same family as last year, but it fetched the same exact price of $47,500 from the same buyer. Riley Runkel's 1,333 pound Maine-Anjou steer, who she calls Trippy, was purchased by Meijer Supermarkets. In 2018, Riley's older brother Reid also sold his champion steer to Meijer. They are Racine County exhibitors from Burlington.

Also for the second year in a row, Lauren May of Iowa County exhibited the reserve champion beef animal of the show. Her Crossbred steer was purchased by Kenosha Beef International for $22,000. In continuing with a long streak of success, May has finished in either first or second place at the State Fair for each of the past six years. Her brother, Brock, had also sold either the champion or the reserve champion steer for six consecutive years between 2007-2012.

Meanwhile, the top hog of the sale was sold by Logan Schmitz of Mineral Point for $14,000 to Beer Capitol Distributing. And Trenna Cherney of Wonewoc exhibited the Grand Champion Lamb. Her sheep went for $7,500 on the auction block to Great Lakes Coca-Cola. She also had the honor of singing the national anthem.

Governor Tony Evers was on hand to greet the exhibitors and buyers, along with Bucky Badger and the UW-Madison Marching Band. In all, 25 animals were sold at the auction for a total of $255,850. Each exhibitor will receive 80 percent of the winning bid with the remaining 20 percent applied to youth scholarships, grants and auction expenses.

Also this week, Wisconsin Ag Secretary Brad Pfaff hosted the Meat Products Auction at the fair on Tuesday evening. That sale raised nearly $100,000, which will go to the Wisconsin's 4-H Foundation to help fund leadership development, programs and scholarships.

The 11-day fair continues through Sunday with more grandstand entertainment, tasty food and midway rides.

Send this article to a friend

Other Wisconsin Headlines
Easy Way Cattle Care
Zabel Equipment
Copyright © 2020 - Farms.com. All Rights Reserved.