Biadasz Family Recognized for Promoting Farm Safety
Wisconsin Ag Connection - 03/15/2017
The parents of a young Portage County farmer who died last summer from manure gas poisoning have been honored by their community for sharing the importance of being safe on the farm. Bob and Diane Biadasz were presented with a plaque at the American
Agriculture Appreciation Banquet on Tuesday. The event was sponsored by the Portage County Business Council.
The Biadaszes lost their 29-year-old son, Michael, on August 15 when he was agitating waste on their farm's outdoor manure pit. Sixteen steers also died that morning after breathing in toxic fumes.
Since the incident, the Bob and Diane have been working to promote farm safety so other events like this can be avoided in the future.
Meanwhile, the Wisconsin Custom Operators recently honored Steve Burclaw, one of the farmhands on the Biadasz's operation, with its first-ever 'Employee of the Year' award. The group said Burclaw was the first person to discover Mike when he passed
away and he helped the family take care of their chores and custom farming business in the days following the tragedy.
A memorial fund established in Michael Biadasz's memory is being used to promote farm safety education.