East Central Select Sires

Wisconsin Ag News Headlines
Top Seller at State Fair's Livestock Auction Brings $47,500
Wisconsin Ag Connection - 08/09/2018

The 2018 grand champion steer in the 50th Annual Governor's Blue Ribbon Livestock Auction at the Wisconsin State Fair was sold Wednesday night for $47,500. Reid Runkel's 1,325 pound Crossbred steer, named Scooby, was purchased by Meijer Supermarkets. No stranger to the show ring, the 17-year-old Racine County exhibitor from Burlington showed the Champion Simmental Steer at last year's fair.

Lauren May of Iowa County, who's animal was named the grand champion in 2017, was this year's reserve champion of the show. Her animal was purchased by Kenosha Beef International for $22,500. May has finished in either first or second place at the State Fair for each of the past five years. She is the sister of Brock May, who had also sold either the champion or the reserve champion steer for six consecutive years between 2007-2012.

Meanwhile, the top hog of the sale was sold by Brady Wilkes of Racine for $13,000 to Beer Capitol Distributing. And Sarah Johnson from Walworth County exhibited the Grand Champion Lamb. Her natural colored sheep went for $13,000 on the auction block and was purchased by Walmart.

Governor Scott Walker was on hand to work the crowd, along with Bucky Badger and the UW-Madison Marching Band. In all, 25 animals were sold at the auction for a total of 316,800. Each exhibitor will receive 80 percent of the winning bid with the remaining 20 percent applied to youth scholarships, grants and auction expenses.

"Every year, the Blue Ribbon Livestock Auction helps support youth in our state who are interested in agriculture," Gov. Walker said. "It not only highlights the strength of our livestock industry, it also helps to ensure the future of agriculture in Wisconsin by supporting the youth exhibitors who want to build a future in farming."

Also this week, Walker hosted the Meat Products Auction at the state fair on Tuesday evening. That sale raised more than $100,000, which will go to the Wisconsin's 4-H Foundation to help fund leadership development, programs and scholarships. A Salami product, submitted by Sailer's Food Market and Meat Processing of Elmwood, was named Best of Show and sold for $2,000 to Egg Innovations.

The 11-day fair continues through Sunday with more grandstand entertainment, tasty food and midway rides.

Send this article to a friend

Other Wisconsin Headlines
International Protein Sires
KNT Fabrication
Copyright 2019 - USAgNet.com. All Rights Reserved.